Sunday, April 26, 2015

The joy of spring

     Ah, yes. Spring is finally here. What a wonderful time to be a runner. There is no feeling quite like the feeling of finally breaking out your outside running gear after a harsh and merciless winter. What's the best part of this run? Not the actual hills, the feeling of concrete beneath your feet, but the overall mindset you put yourself in to.
     Recently I've been putting down my phone, my watch, and the gps to track my mileage and simply put on my shoes to enjoy the run. I decided to start doing this when I made the decision to discontinue my running experience through my track team. The injuries weren't worth it to me, and the only reason I was really running (besides my team) was to get in shape for getting in shape for cross country. Long story short, I wasn't enjoying it, so I decided to take some time to focus on myself. 
     With that, I decided to rest a few weeks to allow my legs to heal before I would continue running on my own again. After a few weeks, I decided that "today would be the day" I would begin running. It was a beautiful day, and I decided to give it a go. Putting on my watch and getting my gps ready to go, I ran about a mile in a loop around myself and was absolutely heartbroken at what I had learned. After taking it easy, my times didn't match, and overall I felt absolutely exhausted and out of breath. I was afraid I was no longer a runner.
      The next week (yes, I was that upset) I decided to try running again on a warm night. What happened nearly brought tears to my eyes. I left everything behind (except my clothes and shoes) and began running on the nature trail. The difference no music, no time, and no tracking makes is incredible. Being able to hear the birds chirp, the wind blow the grass, and hear your own breath makes all the difference in the world. You almost feel connected with the earth, as if your footsteps are the very reason the earth is rotating in the first place. It's funny how the little things can make the biggest difference.
 I realized that I had fallen in love with running, and that as sports and competitions increased my love for it had lost, and all I was doing was training. So if you're struggling or going through a rut, I highly encourage you to leave all of your gear behind, and simply enjoy the run. (434)

No comments:

Post a Comment