Thursday, April 9, 2015

Is dance a sport? (continued)

    This is a continuation from my previous post about whether dance is a sport or not. I'm not writing this with the intent to hurt anyone's feelings, I promise. It's for a class and it's required that I write something for my blogging each week, and I can't help but write about something that's been talked about amongst the halls of our highschool and locker rooms for the past few years. I am merely sharing my opinion, and I hope you respect mine as I respect yours.
      This is not an attack on the athleticism of a dancer. The athleticism of a dancer (like a cross country runner, football player, or hockey player) is determined by the work and effort alone that they put into it and themselves. In fact, this isn't an attack at all. Dancing is for sure an athletic activity, and if you were to ask me, it is by far more athletic than golf, but that's an extremely different topic for some other day that I am not willing to dip my toes in quite yet.
     Allow me address something that may be the reason dancers may get a little offended when somebody argues that dance is not a sport in the first place. The word "sport" is not a compliment. In fact, people in Asia way way way back in the day played sports by kicking around human heads. And the word "art" is by far not an insult. It is creative and expressive. That's more powerful than kicking a pigskin through a few posts anyways. People need to eliminate the thought of the negativity of art.
     Thanks so much for reading this, I hope you understand my point of view, espeically being a dancer and loving every minute of it. This is a tricky and difficult subject to talk or write about because the world is very opinionated on such a topic as this. (320)

No comments:

Post a Comment