Tuesday, April 14, 2015

#Getfast

     If you've been reading my previous posts you may or may not have picked up on for my love for hills. No, I don't actually love hills. When on my runs and I come upon a hill the first thought of mine is nowhere near "Yippee! A hill!" but rather profound language that I don't feel is appropriate for a school blog. With every part of my body and mind I absolutely hate hills on my runs. However the results you can get from simply ten seconds on a hill are impressive, to say the least.
      According a Brad Hudson, an excellent distance coach, running uphill as fast as you can for ten seconds is all you have to do. "There's nothing better for developing speed and muscle power," he says.
     As a distance runner myself I would have to argue that exceeding in a race may take more than just ten seconds of uphill running. When you're running a 5K, that hill won't be the only thing to carry you, as you have to build up your endurance and actually make sure that you are aerobicly fit. Along with that, however, I do agree that hills are one of the best things you can do for yourself.
     So if you're simply going to "run hills" for your workout, don't kill yourself. By that I mean, keep it short and and sweet. And by sweet, I mean fast. It may absolutely suck, but it will have the minimum amount of risk for injury. The goal is not to become tired, it's to build muscle. Hills are the absolute best way to  gain strength in your legs, and strength in your legs (not always, but for many) translate into being fast.
     It's true, the actual fast part of running up the hill will be what increases your speed. But the actual slope of the hill will be what builds your strength and muscle. A benefit of sprinting uphill to go along with what it already gives you? The elasticity in your muscles improves, allowing you make each step faster and faster by basically springing off your foot like the Easter bunny.
     When it comes to tackling hills few are prepared nor willing to actually run up one. Let's face it, it takes both mental and physical strength, and some of us just aren't willing to tap into that stuff. Yes, it's painful, yes, it's hard, yes it's nowhere near pleasant or fun, but don't forget that you're a runner. If pain was something that stopped you, you wouldn't be running in the first place. Plus, the results last so much longer than the pain every will. (445)

No comments:

Post a Comment