Wednesday, April 15, 2015

When you lose it

     There comes a time at any runners life where they lose the motivation to run. Maybe you're in pain too often, maybe you're not seeing results, maybe you're just bored, or maybe you would rather do something else. Whatever it is, it happens. It happens to me, too.
     A common reason to stop running (this one happens to me all the time) is you become tired and out of breath on your runs. It's strange, especially when you know you're in shape and are fully capable of what you're doing. Here's my advice: if you were to talk to someone, could you do it in complete sentences? If not, you're going too fast for yourself.
     Another common one I experience a lot is feeling like stopping. You know what it is, stuff like hoping that the stoplight doesn't work in your favor so you get a break from running, or hoping the car about to turn out of the street it's on doesn't stop for you or blocks your path. It's the little things that you begin to look forward to just so you can stop. My advice? Don't start fast. I find myself doing this all the time. Starting fast will just drain your energy more quickly and make you feel tired. As long as you're moving, you're good.
     So what if you feel like you don't have time to run? Here's my simple solution: use a treadmill instead. That way you can stop whenever you absolutely need to, and are still connected to home to be there in case something happens or you need to be there quickly. This will take off more pressure than you think. (279)

No comments:

Post a Comment